[Linux-aus] Grant proposal: Software Freedom Day CDs for Australia

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 18:07:47 EST 2008

On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:
> I'm totally in favour of this idea.  The software on the CD is free, the CDs
> still cost money to produce.  It's another good way for groups to raise money
> to offset the printing costs.  And it's right there in the GPL.
>
> But if it's a choice between giving CDs out for free and only giving them away
> to people that are willing to pay for the CD, then I'll go for the former
> every day.  We'll have a 'donations for CD printing costs' box there on the
> stand on the day, but we'll also be giving away CDs.

I think you're gonna have to do more than that to get a gold coin. You
will have to instruct all the people at the stall to tell people that
they are encouraged to donate a gold coin for the CD printing costs.
They can use that to get into a conversation. They will actively have
to support that mission. Otherwise the box will just stand there all
day and be empty at the end of the day.

Regards,
Silvia.