[Linux-aus] Final nominations for LA election

Mark Phillips mark.phillips at automatedtestsystems.com.au
Thu Jan 17 18:15:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 23:44 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:

> What I think would be good, would be not a requirement for a person
> from each state to fill a position as an ordinary committee memmber,
> but, rather a provision for an ordinary committee member position to
> exist for each state/territory, so that, if no-one nominates (or is
> nominated) to represent a state/territory, then the position remains
> vacant.

I'm for anything that increases participation so .....

So if there is more than one nomination for a given state, who votes?
The members of of each state or the national body.

I've ignored the state based discussion, as such, as I find in
irrelevant. I vote for the people who I think will do the best job
regardless of where they come from. Admittedly having few nominations
makes the choices limited, so we need a way of increasing nominations.

The problem as I see it is that membership of these committees is fairly
daunting. So why not add a role of "committee member(s) in training" to
the committee. This position(s) is solely there to monitor what being a
committee member is all about, to offer help etc, but without any
responsibility in decision making.

Mark