[Linux-aus] Final nominations for LA election

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Jan 17 14:44:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Karl Goetz wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 16:53 +0900, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 16:20 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > >=20

> > >=20
> > > Wot, no-one from WA or Tasmania?
> > >=20
> > > Loud raspberry!(but not quite loud enough to travel across the=20
> > > null-boar)
> > >=20
> > > Maybe, one day, OCM's will be one per state/territory...
> >=20
> > Please, NO!
> >=20
> > _REALLY_BAD_IDEA_
>
> Actually i agree with Bret.
> That said, it would be nice if someone in each state wanted to do it - i
> dont think it should be enforced (having people do LA who dont want to
> helps us very little)
> kk

What I think would be good, would be not a requirement for a person
from each state to fill a position as an ordinary committee memmber,
but, rather a provision for an ordinary committee member position to
exist for each state/territory, so that, if no-one nominates (or is
nominated) to represent a state/territory, then the position remains
vacant.

Kind of like in local governments that have a wards-based system, and
the senate, with senators representing each state.

So that when elections come around, the Ordinary Committee Member
positions would be one for each state/territory, and then people from
each state/territory could nominate for the relevant position, and, if
no-one from a particular state/territory, nominated (or was nominated),
then that position could remain vacant, until such time as someone
nominated for the position.

Whilst I personally think that this federalism system that is used in
the government of Australia, is a heap of rubbish and that state and
territory governments are a heap of rubbish, as is the senate, with no
benefit for the individual states and territories, some form of regional
representation, has its benefits, and provision for regional
representation, could help spread both "the load", and, input, so that
both are not concentrated, for example, on the "eastern seaboard, ahould
it occur that that happens.

If it happened, that for example, I nominated for a WA Ordinary
Committee Member position to represent WA, and, someone from WA
nominated, solely to keep me off the committee, and then, having
accomplished that, took no further interest in being a committee meber,
that would be unfortunate, both for the organisation, and, for the
state, but, having state/territory (or, otherwise, some form of
regional) representation, and, especially, more than the three Ordinary
Committee Member positions, could allow more people who are sufficiently
interested to nominate for the committee, and, achieve more input , and,
more "spreading of the load", in the running of the organisation.

At present, four people are nominated, for three positions, as Ordinary
Committee Members. It seems, to me, unfortunate, that they could not all
be elected to the committee to make use of the volunteering to be
involved, as willingness to be involved, is something that can be
difficult to find, in the running of non-profit organisations.

And, if provision exists for each state/territory to have a
representative Ordinary Committee Member, and not all of those positions
are filled, then, at least the opportunity will exist for each
state/territory to have a representative Ordinary Committee Member, and,
if the opportunity is not taken up by each state/territory, then, it is
a loss of oppostunity, for the states and territories, that do not take
up the opportunity.

But, it would provide for greater spread of representation in the
committee.

So, it is a matter of increasing the provision of representation in the
committee, and NOT a matter of creating coercion of unwilling and
uninterested people, to be members of the committee.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."