[Linux-aus] Article about Make The Move

Kanchana Wickremasinghe kanchana at fossmart.net
Sun Jan 13 05:52:46 UTC 2008

Consumers have different attitudes towards what and how they buy things
or get things for free:

Therefore no matter how nicely we write about FOSS and talk them into it
they will not switch to FOSS unless they can see it is available in the
common market place. This is why it is very important that major PC
distributors have FOSS based PCs, Laptops on the shelf.

Of course there are other ways for us to make them demand for FOSS based
PCs and Laptops:

1. To get them involved in their early stages - in schools

2. To get into corporates where they use it pretty much 40 hours a week

Unless something major like above happens we will not be able to
convince the average Joe to make the move.

Business sector is quite different, they may not want to openly talk
about it however they are convinced that FOSS will help them and are
already using it. Not as much as on the desktop to our liking. However
it is happening.

Therefore if we are to address these areas effectively I believe we
should get help from non-technical people and get them involved in the
project.

> On Sun, 13 Jan 2008, Chris Smart <chris at kororaa.org> wrote:
>
>> "http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/01/makethemovenet.h
>> tml"
>>
>> The author and people in the comment thread make some good points,
>> especially about people not caring about FOSS - they just want to use
>> their pc better; and two, me not knowing what I'm talking about.
>>
>> If I get around to updating the site, I think there are some valuable
>> changes that can be made.
>>

> The article reflects what I've been thinking for some time: we need too be
> more user-centric.
>
> I've got a guide written at http://www.linux.org.au/linux . It's only
> half-done, and I long ago realised that it needs some serious restructuring
> to improve readability and relevance to the reader. Unfortunately it's on
> my 'when I get the time' list, but comments and suggestions are welcome. I've
> already got a ream of notes that I need to incorporate into it.

best regards,

Kanchana Wickremasinghe
Chief Architect

Fossmart Pty Limited