[Linux-aus] Downhill slide to Australia 2020 Summit weekend

ajdlinux at gmail.com ajdlinux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 14 07:42:00 UTC 2008

On 4/14/08, Marco Ostini <m.ostini at uq.edu.au> wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> The Australia Youth Summit was held this weekend past, and next weekend the
> 'Grown Up' Australia 2020 Summit is due to be held in Canberra.
>
> Back in February James Purser and I mentioned the importance of the
> Australia 2020 Summit, and that it was a valuable and unique opportunity
> for the LA community to have direct input into the government policy making
> process.
>
> The Australia 2020 Summit is not meant to be a gab fest, but in a sense an
> attempt to wiki-ise a portion of Government policy, and give Australians
> the opportunity to suggest the changes they deem necessary. Ordinary
> Australians could nominate themselves to attend, and make submissions on
> any of the Summit topic.
>
> The Summit Topics are worth reading in detail:
>
> 	http://www.australia2020.gov.au/topics/index.cfm
>
> So I have two questions to the LA list:
>
>     1) Was any of the LA members successful in their nominations to attend?

I attended the Youth Summit (which I wrote a lengthy recount about on
my blog), but didn't get a chance to say much about open source.

>     2) Did any LA members make submissions before they closed last week?

I made one submission regarding supporting Australia's open source
industry. My argument was basically that Australia has a growing FOSS
industry and that government ought to support it. I didn't spend much
time on it though.

> For the reference of the community here's my five submissions. I intended
> to make a submission on all 10 of the summit topics, but ran out of time
> due to personal commitments. My submissions are from my head and heart, so
> naturally include FOSS.
>
> 	http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/MarcoAu2020

Interesting submission. The 2030 Summit sounds like a good idea.

--
Andrew Donnellan <><                   ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom
http://linux.org.au            http://ajdlinux.wordpress.com