[Linux-aus] FOSS patent infringements

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Wed May 16 06:00:24 UTC 2007

Hi,

On 5/16/07, James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> There are multiple ways to attack this.

Agreed. In fact all of your comments are very valid.

But there is something different here that I cant work out...I am not
a legal dude by any means....but my old "marketing strategy" bunny has
been woken from his/her forced slumber.

If MS go at this the same way as SCO they would have to be stupid.
They know where that leads. Sure, MS do not "seem" to intend going
down this sue everyone route as you say....but what if they did?

I think there is a need to keep a sharp eye on the story as it unfolds.

I also reckon their is one very big sharp stick that the community
could weild right now.......a multi protocol, sustained media
bombardment that urges MS to reveal the patents they reckon have been
breached.

A relentless "put up or shut up" message in the media would probably
kybosh their agenda....they have control through virtue of the fact
that they have thrown down a glove...gaining control of the next few
stages would disrupt them no end...

Force them through public and media pressure to "put up or shut up.!"
If they don;t want to do this, it will be a very hard thing to delay
if the story is kept current through the thrumming "put up or shut up"
message that the community could generate.

Think a DDOS style media campaign with a single message:
Put Up or Shut Up!"

A lot could be achieved via letter writing, press releases and
participation in public forums!

Rgds
BW