[Linux-aus] FOSS patent infringements

Janet Hawtin lucychili at gmail.com
Wed May 16 07:02:37 UTC 2007

One of the things which interests me is that if a company is able to
threaten a body of work the size of Gnu/Linux at this late stage in
development, what chance of making good choices and investments do new
players have. If every major player in the computing sector can make
these kinds of threats about issues which new participants cannot
possibly anticipate there cannot be safe new independent innovation.

Regardless of whether the new entrant is open source or closed source
they are walking in fog. The only groups who have a free right to
participate are those who feel they have a big stick(large vintage
patent portfolio) with which to retaliate.

Australia has many innovative people and is not a key player in terms
of nations or companies holding chunky sectors of the patent
minefield, I do not understand why our government supports policies
which effectively criminalise/franchise local innovation.

Janet