[Linux-aus] FOSS patent infringements

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Wed May 16 03:51:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 13:30 +1000, Brent Wallis wrote:

> If SCO seem to have failed so miserably, why would MS try what "seems"
> to be the same thing?
>
> Are MS actually doing the same thing SCO tried OR is there another
> strategy in motion?
>
> The timing of this announcement, in the context of the recent Novell
> deal, seems pointed and planned...could there be a "surprise legal
> lever" in there somewhere?

Thats the message they want out in the media. What we're seeing is the
start of the FUD campaign that SCO tried to run, but this time by the
masters, rather than a bunch of rank amatuers.

The same applies to the MS patents as does the SCO ones. MS does not
have a legal leg to stand on until they "show us the money", and then
its either going to go to court to get the patent disallowed or it will
be worked around.

Plus there is also the school of thought that because MS is distributing
SUSE as per their Novell deal, they're actually falling under the GPL.

There are multiple ways to attack this.
--
James Purser
http://k-sit.com