[Linux-aus] Re: High school computing texts

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Thu Mar 22 14:54:17 UTC 2007

Donna Benjamin wrote:
> Emphasising computing as a branch of maths, and science, and art - is
> how to get heard in the new world of education in Victoria that is VELS.

I think it is the same everywhere. The emphasis has been on integration
of application level use throughout all year levels. A lot of it is very
poorly done in my opinion.

I think IT studies at senior high school level has experienced declining
student numbers (certainly in some schools and states - safe to
generalise?). Teachers struggle to make it more relevant and fun, but
the subject suffers from not being a prerequisite for any further study
and there are easier filler subjects.