[Linux-aus] Server to donate to another LUG - DarLUG is no more.

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Thu Jun 28 03:50:42 UTC 2007

Jonathan Oxer wrote:
 > This raises an interesting question though: how to make LUGs viable in
 > smaller population centers.

I moved to a rural area (35k pop spread over many small towns) and
wanted to bring a bit of civilisation. I mostly ran out of time for
local LUG activities when I started a job with longer travelling times.
I stopped organising meetings and it died shortly after. It might have
clawed back as a more informal thing but the mailing list box died and
the energy and excitement to restore it never eventuated.

While it was going meeting attendance was highly variable. Travel time
was an issue as was seasonal work. I think the meeting format was flawed
as well (my fault). City lugs seem to have no problems getting a variety
of speakers to give interesting presentations. It is a bit much to
expect the same few people to come up with something all the time and so
perhaps we should have done something different.

Lots of clubs are struggling these days especially in rural areas. None
of the issues that stopped us are things LA could have helped with. Our
meeting place had insurance cover and did not charge us money. We had
free web hosting. I can see how other clubs might not be so lucky.

It would have been helpful to have an inter-lug forum particularly with
smaller lugs to share ideas.

I thought several times, it would be less hassle just to invite people
over for drinks and a bbq. And that would have been fine for the
regulars I trusted. But with a lug, you want to attract new people, and
that demands a public space and some sort of format and that is more hassle.