[Linux-aus] Server to donate to another LUG - DarLUG is no more.

Jonathan Oxer jon at ivt.com.au
Thu Jun 28 03:45:27 UTC 2007

Hi Anthony,

> Thanks for the comments. In the end it got down to just me doing
> everything, hardly anyone participating / wanting to do anything and I
> have a busy job now that I am still learning + a 16 month old
> daughter, and family has to come first. I just don't have the time and
> resources to build DarLUG back up on my own from here.

You're absolutely right in putting your family first. We all have to
keep our priorities straight or we'd go around the twist.

> The remaining interested former members are looking into an informal
> get-together once a month or something like that as a possible way to
> get interest going again. The formal LUG is dead and the server is no
> more, but as you rightly pointed out there are still benefits to be
> had networking with peers locally.
>
> And we all still use, support and advocate for open source in our own
> workplaces :-)
>
> We'll see what eventuates, whatever it is, it needs to be fun and
> informal for now.

That gets to the essence of what I meant by a hypothetical "micro-LUG":
less effort than running a formally organised LUG, but something more
than people who just happen to know each other through some other
context. Some kind of identifiable group without all the overhead
normally involved in running a "club".

I'd be particularly interested to hear how things progress in "informal
get-together" mode. From your point of view it probably seems like a
step down from the formal LUG you were running, but there are many
places without any sort of organised FOSS group at all where that sort
of informal approach could be a step up. If there are things you learn
over the coming months about what works in a small informal group (and
what doesn't!) I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Cheers    :-)
--
Jonathan Oxer
Ph +61 3 9723 9399