[Linux-aus] Fwd: Use of Penguin Image on Instant Scratchie Tickets.

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Jun 19 10:51:42 UTC 2007

<quote who="Brent Wallis">

> > > My understanding of GPL2 and 3 indicates they are designed to almost
> > > "force" attribution for prior work.
> >
> > That's absolutely false. Go back and read about the four clause BSD
> > screw up, and the latest mess around "commercial Open Source" MPL +
> > Attribution licenses.
>
> Ok so yourself and Jon are at odds here.

It's likely that Jon was agreeing based purely on attribution of copyright,
not advertisement, which is the implication I read from your email (worth
correcting because misconceptions about the GPL are dangerously prone to
repetition).

> No where have I advocated "shouting" , nor have I promoted "in your face
> confrontation". No where have I made a statement that would indicate that
> I want to carry a flag on behalf of a copyright holder.

Your post included allcaps and seemed quite a bit like a flag to be carried.

> IMHO plagarists are liars and should be revealed and shamed....always!

That's a pretty confrontational stance, and that is what I was reacting to
from your previous mail. The word 'plagiarist' assumes malice, and 'shaming'
may not be the most productive or positive course of action in this instance
(particularly as a first port of call).

I offer the caution because sometimes - just sometimes - a good old mailing
list whinge actually spurs action in the real world. It would be unfortunate
if this company were drenched in bile and invective from the community for
making a mistake (particularly if it were done by a third party). *If* they
or (a contractor) did it knowingly, bile and invective is still unlikely to
be the best approach.

- Jeff

--
linux.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia        http://lca2008.linux.org.au/

    "Orphaned farm-boy hero helps save world against bad-guys, begins a
   journey of self-discovery, and makes interesting friends. Passable." -
                        Andrew Bennetts on Star Wars