[Linux-aus] Re: [clug] Re: MtM - companies using foss? - updated

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Tue Feb 27 20:44:10 UTC 2007

Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Sunnz <sunnzy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yahoo has always been running on FreeBSD.
>>
>> 3D animations in the movie Matrix was rendered on a cluster of FreeBSD
>> machines.
>>
>> There are probably more non-Linux Unix(like) OS in your examples, but
>> I can't remember every single one of them in my head. You might want
>> to check your sources.
>
> This raises the question, is this site intended to promote GNU/Linux
> specifically or FLOSS in general? If the former, then FreeBSD deployments
> cannot be counted. If the latter, then we can include all free and open
> source software, including the BSDs, OpenSolaris and even FLOSS software on
> proprietary platforms (yes, even Windows). Where is the line to be drawn?
IMHO, the latter is probably the more appropriate.

Opening the door/providing the gateway 'drugs' has it's benefits.

It is encouraged to convert those who think they are dependent on
Windows to the cross platform applications first, to get the feel for
the alternatives so that the final jump has a softer landing and feels
more comfortable since they will still have programs they are familiar
with. OO.o and the Mozilla applications being prime examples of this.

Since the website is "Make the Move", it makes sense to me to go this
way. It is a matter of what works for the user in the end, not what
works for us.

We (Linux/Unix) are on the same team anyway, right?

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com