[Linux-aus] Re: [clug] Re: MtM - companies using foss? - updated

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Tue Feb 27 14:09:10 UTC 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Sunnz <sunnzy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yahoo has always been running on FreeBSD.
>
> 3D animations in the movie Matrix was rendered on a cluster of FreeBSD
> machines.
>
> There are probably more non-Linux Unix(like) OS in your examples, but
> I can't remember every single one of them in my head. You might want
> to check your sources.

This raises the question, is this site intended to promote GNU/Linux
specifically or FLOSS in general? If the former, then FreeBSD deployments
cannot be counted. If the latter, then we can include all free and open
source software, including the BSDs, OpenSolaris and even FLOSS software on
proprietary platforms (yes, even Windows). Where is the line to be drawn?

--
"I've been doing some [Microsoft] ActiveX coding ... and I'm just flat out
_appalled_ at how bad that entire API and design is. I can make an OCX that