[Linux-aus] Making the speaker panel rock

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Feb 1 07:31:02 UTC 2007

<quote who="Matthew Wilcox">

> Thanks for dealing with that so ... thoroughly when it came up during the
> ask-the-speakers session.  If Mel8ourne chooses to have that session
> again, can we discuss a better format for it?

Yeah, the speaker panel has always teetered along a fine line between "suck"
and "rock". Some suggestions from the crowd would be greatly appreciated. It
is such a good opportunity for both speakers and delegates to talk about big
issues, that we need to come up with a great way to push it well towards the
"rock" side.

(Given that it'll probably come up - I don't think "fewer speakers on stage"
is a good answer. Better to try very hard to deal with the numbers than pull
out lots of great people.)

Perhaps one microphone between five, and each group can elect one speaker in
their group to answer the question? It needn't work as bureaucratically as
it probably sounds. ;-)

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

  "I rather think of Pat as our linguistic ornithologist here - 'Oh look,
         the brown noddy also nests in the mangrove!'" - John Fleck