[Linux-aus] Re: Making the speaker panel rock

Mary Gardiner mary at puzzling.org
Thu Feb 1 09:19:02 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> Perhaps one microphone between five, and each group can elect one speaker in
> their group to answer the question? It needn't work as bureaucratically as
> it probably sounds. ;-)

Speakers seated on chairs on the stage, fairly widely spaced, and some
mic stands at the front of the stage that they can walk to. Failing
that, wireless mics, it seemed to be the cord that they struggled with
the most.

Also, if serious, interesting, debatey questions are wanted, some notice
to the audience is needed. I asked my entirely fluffy "what would bring
you to Melb 08" question because at the time I think the audience was
still new to the concept and busy wracking their brains. Seed the
questions by forewarning smart people who can ask questions (as opposed
to ramble, or conduct both sides of a debate themselves).

-Mary