[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

James Purser purserj at k-sit.com
Tue Dec 18 13:39:32 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 21:50 +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:50:05PM +1100, James Purser wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 17:29 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> > > So, there was never any need for the CALU to be renamed, [...]
> > Bret, the CALU name did not have the same weight within and without the
> > community. It had been run once before being renamed to linux.conf.au.
>
> IIRC, when it went to Brisbane, the previous organisers suggested changing
> the name to something else new again, or at least made us aware that
> it was an option. We decided to keep it as is because it sounded cool;
> that Perth and others have since continued that has built up a really
> valuable brand. We could certainly build another one if we wanted to.
>
> (By way of contrast, we did choose a different logo, and other lca's
> have done the same, meaning we don't have a particular well known image
> associated with lca)

Good point.

> > The question is do we want to throw away a hell of a lot of goodwill and
> > brand recognition for little practical gain?
>
> We don't necessarily have to throw away an existing brand if we want to
> build a new one.

Another good point. Building a new brand around a new concept such as
the umbrella org that has been discussed before, while retaining Linux
Australia as a member organisation is probably the best option IMHO.
Means that we don't throw anything away, but manage to capture that new
org smell at the same time.
--
James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com>