[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Anthony Towns aj at azure.humbug.org.au
Tue Dec 18 11:50:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 07:50:05PM +1100, James Purser wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 17:29 +0900, Bret Busby wrote:
> > So, there was never any need for the CALU to be renamed, [...]
> Bret, the CALU name did not have the same weight within and without the
> community. It had been run once before being renamed to linux.conf.au.

IIRC, when it went to Brisbane, the previous organisers suggested changing
the name to something else new again, or at least made us aware that
it was an option. We decided to keep it as is because it sounded cool;
that Perth and others have since continued that has built up a really
valuable brand. We could certainly build another one if we wanted to.

(By way of contrast, we did choose a different logo, and other lca's
have done the same, meaning we don't have a particular well known image
associated with lca)

> The question is do we want to throw away a hell of a lot of goodwill and
> brand recognition for little practical gain?

We don't necessarily have to throw away an existing brand if we want to
build a new one.

Cheers,
aj