[Linux-aus] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis and Theora removed from HTML5

Mike Lampard mike at mtgambier.net
Mon Dec 17 04:12:56 UTC 2007

On Monday 17 December 2007 13:03:34 Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Mike Lampard">
>
> > I dont think anyone is throwing tantrums about this
>
> Sure they are, coming out with all kinds of rash statements like "Apple and
> Nokia are blocking open codecs so they must be anti-Freedom" and stuff like
> that. Happens all the time.

Possibly.  The answers gained by guessing at another's motives are somewhat
dependant on point of view, don't you think?

> It's all-too-convenient to take a simplistic
> black and white view, follow the orthodoxy and look for negatives. We have
> to remind people about this so we don't all sound like the crazies.

Doesn't understanding the issues involved in a problem come some way toward
solving it?  Some ideas will come from slightly left or right of centre, but
that doesn't necessarily make them invalid.  If someone perceives a problem,
isn't it far better for everyone if an attempt is made to understand the core
issue, then address it, rather than dismiss it as coming from a loon?

In this instance, I think the kernel of the problem is real.  How to deal with
it will have to be a community thing.

> > So we -the FOSS community- lose interoperability to an extent, unless
> > there is some sane patent reform that nullifies submarine patents after a
> > reasonable time, or additionally/alternatively a patent-holder gives
> > royalty free licencing to the opensource community.  That is not without
> > some risk in itself.
>
> It would be awesome to see a use-it-or-lose-it rule, which would
> effectively lock out the trolls. :-)

It would indeed.

Mike