[Linux-aus] Fwd: Ogg Vorbis and Theora removed from HTML5

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Mon Dec 17 02:33:34 UTC 2007

<quote who="Mike Lampard">

> I dont think anyone is throwing tantrums about this

Sure they are, coming out with all kinds of rash statements like "Apple and
Nokia are blocking open codecs so they must be anti-Freedom" and stuff like
that. Happens all the time. It's all-too-convenient to take a simplistic
black and white view, follow the orthodoxy and look for negatives. We have
to remind people about this so we don't all sound like the crazies.

> So we -the FOSS community- lose interoperability to an extent, unless
> there is some sane patent reform that nullifies submarine patents after a
> reasonable time, or additionally/alternatively a patent-holder gives
> royalty free licencing to the opensource community.  That is not without
> some risk in itself.

It would be awesome to see a use-it-or-lose-it rule, which would effectively
lock out the trolls. :-)

- Jeff

--
GNOME.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia http://live.gnome.org/Melbourne2008

   "PHP, when it first came out, didn't really have any merits, and many
    claim it still doesn't, but it filled a void where a simple tool to
            perform a simple task was needed." - Rasmus Lerdorf