[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Wed Dec 12 22:28:00 UTC 2007

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> I think it would be cool for Linux Australia to offer hosting for AUUG net
> services such as their website and mailing lists, whether they choose to go
> "non financial" as suggested by Groggy or even if they want to wind down the
> organisation completely (but still have their infrastructure somewhere).

I think it would be even cooler for Linux Australia to take on the tiny,
additional role that AUUG plays over and above what Linux Australia
does, and thus be able to merge with AUUG.  That tiny, additional role
is to include proprietary UNIX as well as FOSS UNIX.

AUUG has discussed merging with Linux Australia on a number of
occasions, and the sticking point has always been that Linux Australia
won't include these proprietary systems in, for example, conferences.
This is a pity because, otherwise, AUUG could and would hand over
assets, name and history to Linux Australia.  (Nobody would expect LA to
change name.)

> Either way, it's important that whatever AUUG becomes, that they do not seek
> to represent "Open Source", "Linux" or "Software Freedom" in competition
> with Linux Australia [1] and Open Source Industry Australia, as we have seen
> in the past.

I think the truth is that AUUG did represent Open Source, Linux and
Software Freedom, well before there was a Linux Australia.