[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Dec 12 22:47:36 UTC 2007

<quote who="David Newall">

> I think it would be even cooler for Linux Australia to take on the tiny,
> additional role that AUUG plays over and above what Linux Australia does,
> and thus be able to merge with AUUG.  That tiny, additional role is to
> include proprietary UNIX as well as FOSS UNIX.

I hope LA never includes proprietary systems, but as raised on the AUUG talk
list, it's not like they're wildly relevant in the UNIX space anymore. Those
who still find them important can always go to SAGE.

> AUUG has discussed merging with Linux Australia on a number of occasions,
> and the sticking point has always been that Linux Australia won't include
> these proprietary systems in, for example, conferences.  This is a pity
> because, otherwise, AUUG could and would hand over assets, name and
> history to Linux Australia. (Nobody would expect LA to change name.)

I very strongly expect LA to change its name, to make it 100% clear that it
represents more than just "Linux". All of the ingredients are there for it
to do so.

> > Either way, it's important that whatever AUUG becomes, that they do not
> > seek to represent "Open Source", "Linux" or "Software Freedom" in
> > competition with Linux Australia [1] and Open Source Industry Australia,
> > as we have seen in the past.
>
> I think the truth is that AUUG did represent Open Source, Linux and
> Software Freedom, well before there was a Linux Australia.

There was certainly an attempt to, but I don't think it was successful for
very long due to the structure and attitude of AUUG as an organisation. In
addition to that, certain people in AUUG fought extremely hard to make sure
that Linux Australia (the larger, more representative organisation of FLOSS
interests by 2003) was not seen to be relevant or representative. That put
all of us working towards a coherent message for the FLOSS community and
industry back for a while, and we're only recovering now through the repair
of OSIA's message and the clarity of Linux Australia's representative force
as AUUG more publicly considers its future.

So, sure, there's a argument to be had about who was more representative and
when... But that is no longer important, because right now it's very clearly
Linux Australia and OSIA that represent FLOSS interests in the community and
industry, and any attempts by a potentially renewed AUUG to muck around with
that will be extremely damaging for all of us.

Thanks,

- Jeff

--
GNOME.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia http://live.gnome.org/Melbourne2008

      "Openness cannot be assumed, it must be asserted in order to be
                       assured." - Christopher Kelty