[Linux-aus] AUUG to close? Will there be a rush of new members to Linux Australia?

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Wed Dec 12 06:01:14 UTC 2007

<quote who="Jonathan Oxer">

> The AUUG AGM is tonight and I'll be attending as an official
> representative of Linux Australia. No doubt there will be much discussion
> afterwards on the AUUG list itself, but I'll summarise the outcome to
> linux-aus as well.

Jon,

I think it would be cool for Linux Australia to offer hosting for AUUG net
services such as their website and mailing lists, whether they choose to go
"non financial" as suggested by Groggy or even if they want to wind down the
organisation completely (but still have their infrastructure somewhere).

Either way, it's important that whatever AUUG becomes, that they do not seek
to represent "Open Source", "Linux" or "Software Freedom" in competition
with Linux Australia [1] and Open Source Industry Australia, as we have seen
in the past. I'd love to see a resurgence in AUUG, but not if we risk that
happening again -- we suffered too much damage on that front last time.

If you think this is important, and in line with Linux Australia's point of
view, it would be great if you could make this point at the AGM.

Thanks,

- Jeff

[1] Bad name, great people!

--
GNOME.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia http://live.gnome.org/Melbourne2008

  "Anyway - I need something more James Bond than Banana Man, if you know
                       what I mean..." - Tom Gilbert