[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

Paul Coldrey paul at ensigma.com.au
Tue Dec 4 02:35:25 UTC 2007

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> The cognitive dissonance experienced by administrators (forget the users)
> shifting from Windows <whatever> to Linux <whatever> is vastly greater than
> that experienced shifting from Windows <whatever> to Windows <whatever>.
> Let's be realistic, please. :-)
>
> - Jeff

For administrators I agree. For the users I think XP -> Ubuntu might be
a smaller step than XP -> Vista. Similarly Office 2003 -> OpenOffice is
definitely a smaller step than Office 2003 -> Office 2007.

My next door neighbour changed from XP to Ubuntu and his wife was
carrying on about how much she loved Vista and couldn't understand the
negative press - finally someone told her it wasn't Vista at all.
Similarly when I changed my wife over the Linux (Slackware with
fvwm-crystal) her first comment was that she loved the new version of
"Outlook" which of course was Thunderbird,... and the only problem she
had with OpenOffice was that it didn't render party invitations that
people sent her as .DOC files correctly. She did administrative work
before she was a mum so I got a copy of Office 2007 to play with,... she
couldn't do anything with it and she was a Office guru in a previous life.

I think the biggest problem now is perception not reality.

At linuxconf 2003, everyone was worried that even though Linux desktops
were overtaking XP on a number of fronts the coming  of Vista redress
the balance back in favour of M$. Well now we know Vista is a steaming
pile of excrement and "The Ribbon" is a confronting and completely
undiscoverable interface. If ever there was a time for Linux to get a
foot hold it is now.

And while I am having a rant,...  maybe my brain is incorrectly wired
but has anyone out there actually tried to administer a M$ server. Sure
people don't like to read text files,... but come on, Linux
administration is A LOT easier - people might not know how to do it but
the fact remains.