[Linux-aus] New Federal Govt's Education/PC plans

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Dec 4 01:32:53 UTC 2007

<quote who="Max Stam (School)">

> Randall Crook wrote:
> > Which IT Manager in any department would be willing to go to his
> > minister and say "With four years of hard work to retraining 17000
> > employee in any where up to 10 Software products and Thousands of man
> > hours for data migration at a great cost, we can save the department
> > millions a year in software licences."?
>
> Ahhhhhhhh but you have to spend big money to retrain 17000 staff for
> Vista, why not retrain them to a flavour of linux?

The cognitive dissonance experienced by administrators (forget the users)
shifting from Windows <whatever> to Linux <whatever> is vastly greater than
that experienced shifting from Windows <whatever> to Windows <whatever>.
Let's be realistic, please. :-)

- Jeff

--
GNOME.conf.au 2008: Melbourne, Australia http://live.gnome.org/Melbourne2008