[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Tue Apr 24 02:24:46 UTC 2007

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com wrote:
>> o I agree with others on this list who have stated that guerrilla (e.g.
>> "word of mouth", "viral") marketing is the way to go.
>
> Word of mouth is a dismal failure. Desktop Linux is still a marginalised OS
> and will continue to be, so long as word of mouth is the means of marketing
> Linux, at very best, in my most optomistic assesment of he numbe of Desktop
> Linux users, Desktop Linux has 5% of the market (this assesment is based on
> the number of people I personally have moved to Desktop Linux, in the last
> 5 years, multiplied by the Industry assesment of 1% and assuming the a large
> proprtion of Linux users have a similar pool of hidden desktop Linux users.

Apple holds roughly the equivalent desktop market share as Linux, yet
Linux uses WoM primarily while Apple uses traditional marketing primarily.

Tell me, which has got the best value for the invested dollar?

Tell me, how does achieving comparable results to a multi-billion dollar
scheme, for a tiny fraction of the cost, translate as a dismal failure?

--
Sincerely
Melissa Draper

http://www.meldraweb.com