[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
Mon Apr 23 22:04:20 UTC 2007

> o I agree with others on this list who have stated that guerrilla (e.g.
> "word of mouth", "viral") marketing is the way to go.

Word of mouth is a dismal failure. Desktop Linux is still a marginalised OS
and will continue to be, so long as word of mouth is the means of marketing
Linux, at very best, in my most optomistic assesment of he numbe of Desktop
Linux users, Desktop Linux has 5% of the market (this assesment is based on
the number of people I personally have moved to Desktop Linux, in the last
5 years, multiplied by the Industry assesment of 1% and assuming the a large
proprtion of Linux users have a similar pool of hidden desktop Linux users.

regards

Tracyanne