[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 00:09:51 UTC 2007

Hi ,

Have been following this thread for some time and it has now dipped
into astroturf land....:

On 4/24/07, linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com
<linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com> wrote:
> > They may well be able to turn the tux500 concept into a public relations
> > negative for Linux.  I'm not sure it is wise to play PR people at their
> > own game.

Absolute nonsense!

> If we do nothing and the Tux500 project fails, they most certainly will be
> able to do a PR that's negative to Linux.

Piffle!

> If we as a community can make this happen, here are the scenarios.
>
> 1) there is a Team Linux car in the Indy500, it gets mentioned by the commentators
> a lot, in part because it's a community sponsored efort - this fact will not
> slip past the commentators.

? Balderdash!

> 2) the News media will splash it all over the news, worldwide (Most of our
> news is US sourced). The hook will be community sponsors Team Linux car at
> Indy.
> doesn't matter if the car crashes - more media coverage anyway - wins or
> looses.
>
> If Microsoft sponsor a car as well, here are the scenarios
>
> 1) it contextualises Linux in the eys of the public
> 2) it gives us an opportunity to talk about the community and how the
> money for the sponsor ship was raised by hundreds and thousands of Linux
> users, while the money from Microsoft was a cheque signed ina corporate
> office on a whim.

> 3) Linux get even greater exposure, because the press has a better hook.
>
> doesn't matter if the Linux car crashes - more media coverage anyway -
> wins or looses.

None of these points make any real sense...even Coca Cola dont go into
these types of deals expecting too much out of the race. Their biggest
marketing gain is via the drinks tent they set up for their customers
during the course of the event!

> The only bad PR is the PR we are likely to get if this project doesn't
> come through with the goods.
>
> 1) no, or continued little, coverage of Linux in the mainstream media,
> but we're used that aren't we. We expect that.
>
> 2) Linux community incapable of getting behind Tux500 race car project
> coverage, attempt to raise money fizzles.
>
> This last would be better than what we get now, and better than 1)
> above, at least Linux would be in front of the public for a short time.

This reads like the spiel from a high pressure salesmans cookbook!
Resorting to whimsical "...if you dont do this the world will end..."
scenarios is best left to insurance salespeople.
Stating that the community will "suffer" if the project fails is
really quite ill-informed and very, very incorrect.

Rgds
BW