[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Apr 19 05:12:05 UTC 2007

<quote who="Paul Wayper">

> My partner had the idea of writing to the National Press Club to see if
> they'd be interested on having a talk from a prominent member of the FOSS
> community.

That would be awesome. It would have to hook in to one of the issues of the
day -- right now (and one of the areas Waugh Partners is focusing on) is the
topical discussion about Australian innovation and productivity, how we can
continue to compete on the world stage, etc.

> Ultimately, what I think Linux Australia should do is get some of this
> grant money we keep talking about together and get a professional PR
> firm to look at the question of promoting Linux and FOSS in Australia.

Wildly expensive. I'm researching this for the GNOME Foundation at the
moment, and almost hitting the "probably doable, but not now" conclusion.

> That'd save Jeff a lot of derogatory ranting about everyone else not
> knowing what "more value" meant without actually telling anyone what his
> idea of "more value" was.

Well, I did describe it in quite some detail in the previous thread, but I
can understand that it would get lost in the argumentative environment.

- Jeff

--
Open CeBIT 2007: Sydney, Australia              http://www.opencebit.com.au/

          "And up in the corporate box there's a group of pleasant
   thirtysomething guys making tuneful music for the masses of people who
    can spell 'nihilism', but don't want to listen to it in the car." -
                            Richard Jinman, SMH