[Linux-aus] Marketing Linux

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed Apr 18 10:06:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, linuxaus.1.tracyanne at spamgourmet.com wrote:
> I'm involved in a project that is attempting to raise funds to begin a
> marketing campaign to market Linux to a wider audience. This project is
> mainly the work of two men Ken Stark (who Blogs as Helios
> http://blog.lobby4linux.com/) and and Bob Moore a Linux Admin and prime
> mover of this project. They have engaged the services of Acceleration
> Marketing ( http://www.accelerationmarketing.net/ ) a marketing company
> that works with the US Motorsport industry. They have a car and a
> driver, all they need now is the help of the Linux community to raise
> $US350,000 to race an Indy car in this years Indy 500
> ( http://www.tux500.com/index.php )

A noble effort, but I don't see how throwing a tonne of money at a
flash-in-the-pan idea is worthwhile, especially given that hardly anyone
follows that sport outside of the USA.

For far less, we could probably sponsor a V8 Supercar. That's not a serious
suggestion, BTW.

I don't see how any such major community-funded advertising effort will
generate enough lasting value to justify its expenditure. There are
infinitely better ways to spend the resources.

--
I used to be into S&M, necrophilia, and bestiality - then I realised I was
just beating a dead horse.