[Linux-aus] Interview with Mark Lloyd from ACS on compulsory accreditation

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Fri Sep 29 11:52:02 UTC 2006

Janet Hawtin wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> Check out this week's LocalFoss by the Purser team.
> This episode we talk with Mark Lloyd from the Australian Computer
> Society on their plans for a mandatory registration system, similar to
> that of doctors and laywers.
> We try to find out how this is going to affect the FOSS community.

I asked my colleagues on the ACS Council what this was about, and I
still havent listened to it and I'm on a slow dialup right now, but it
apparently refers to those who work in ICT in the health and safety
critical work spaces who will need to be registered under a mandatory
registration system.

At least that's in the future and I am not aware of other details at
this time.  The role being mooted for ACS in this, again I dont know, my
own view and the last time 'mandatory registration' was discussed at the
governing body of the ACS it was consistent with my earlier email, that
is, Registration Boards and professional societies are rarely one and
the same thing and ought to be separate.

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS
Chairman ACS SA http://www.acs.org.au/

The ACS Computer Professional Educational Program impacts
on the Practising Computer Professional scheme. Visit
http://www.acs.org.au/cpprogram/cpp.htm to see how.

Mobile:+61(0) 412 662 988 || Skype: callto://baynsley
Phone:08 8357 8844  Fax:08 8272 7486 Nodephone:08 7127 0107
Oz Business Partners http://www.ozbusinesspartners.com/