[Linux-aus] Avoiding the easy way out

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Sep 19 13:33:02 UTC 2006

On Monday, 18 September 2006 at 20:14:11 -0700, Michael Still wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>> <quote who="Christopher Yeoh">
>>
>>> Where there are cases of individuals, communities, and companies wanting
>>> something different, perhaps this is an indicator that there is room for
>>> more organisations and conferences to fill any gaps that may exist.
>>
>> This seems to me to be the easy way out of making a difficult decision.
>>
>> In the Linux Australia case, more organisations is clearly dangerous. The
>> Government want a peak body to talk to, and that has been the case since
>> around 2000.
>
> I've heard that argument a couple of times on this thread now. I fail to
> see why the government finding reality inconvenient is our problem.

Hah.  I suppose this is what you were referring to in the other
message.

The Government is only one example.  Obviously we're talking politics
or evangelism here.  How do we best make clear to the outside world
that Open Source is the way to go?  That's our problem (both Linux
Australia's and AUUG's).  AGIMO (ex NOIE) is interested, and they've
repeatedly solicited input.  The fact that there are two different
groups, each saying slightly different things and in different
terminology, makes their job harder.

But they're the people who are sympathetic to our aims.  What chance
do we have with people who are at best neutral?  A couple of months
ago we invited Janet Hawtin to a board meeting of the ICT Council for
South Australia to present something on the DMCA legislation.  The
board members acknowledged that there might be an issue, but they
weren't convinced that it had anything to do with them.  Under these
situations, a single organization to give direction would be better
than two.

> If the government can't handle the complexities of talking to two
> spokes people, how can they run a country?

I think you'll find that most people who have dealt with AGIMO have
been positively impressed.  They're not stupid by a long chalk.

Greg