[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au name change

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Tue Sep 19 09:48:03 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 18:53 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Jeff Waugh">
>
> > I think we have an awesome opportunity here.
>
> With regards to the linux.conf.au name change, I'm going to go out on a limb
> and pony up some suggestions. Gotta kick this sucker off somehow.

The linux.conf.au name will not change.  Not because the name is
perfect: it's a technical Free Software conference and not a
Linux-specific conference.  Yet note that most attendees run Linux, so
almost all talks are Linux-related in some way.

So the desire to have a more accurate name is understandable.  However,
there are two problems which cannot be overcome.

1) The name linux.conf.au has international recognition.  This has been
built up with over five years by the continuous efforts of organisers.
It allows us to get high-profile speakers, attract attendees, and makes
people read headlines which contain the phrase "linux.conf.au".

2) Names which encompass broader concepts by definition lack focus, or
have no inherent meaning, such as "opensource.conf.au", "phoenix" or
"tridge.conf.au".

The disease is mild and this cure is worse.  Use a subtitle or start a
new conference.

Rusty.
--
Help! Save Australia from the worst of the DMCA: http://linux.org.au/law