[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Sat Sep 16 15:42:01 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 18:53 +1000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

<snip>

> Importantly, this would be a significant rebranding effort. Don't get too
> caught up on 'losing' the brand - sometimes, rebirthing a brand can be more
> advantageous, and make more waves, than sticking with the familiar.

I think you underestimate the power that has been built up behind the
current brand. It has only been in the last year that when talking to
people on the Internet that saying LCA or Linux.conf.au brings any
recognition. Changing the name now would mean that all this exposure
would have to start again. No matter what you do, people will have a
hard time associating all the previous good will with the "new"
conference.

I have never been overly interested in "Linux kernel conference". I
have always seen Linux.conf.au as a "Linux as the distribution". Linux
was the linchpin that brought everyone together. Further trying to
dilute the conference into a general "FOSS" conference is a bad move.

I am however for the change of Linux Australia into a more general FOSS
Australia.

Why not create a new FOSS conference supported by Linux Australia?

> Thanks,
>
> - Jeff

Just my 2cents.

Tim Ansell