[Linux-aus] Re: linux.conf.au name change

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Tue Sep 19 09:54:04 UTC 2006

<quote who="Rusty Russell">

> 1) The name linux.conf.au has international recognition.  This has been
> built up with over five years by the continuous efforts of organisers.  It
> allows us to get high-profile speakers, attract attendees, and makes
> people read headlines which contain the phrase "linux.conf.au".

A coherent rebranding effort can alleviate this problem.

> 2) Names which encompass broader concepts by definition lack focus, or
> have no inherent meaning, such as "opensource.conf.au", "phoenix" or
> "tridge.conf.au".

An interesting problem to overcome! I'm sure we're smart enough to do so.

> The disease is mild and this cure is worse.  Use a subtitle or start a new
> conference.

A subtitle doesn't solve the problem. A new conference causes all kinds of
new problems.

- Jeff

--
Ohio LinuxFest 2006: Columbus OH, USA              http://www.ohiolinux.org/

     Broken hearts rarely come with "Some Assembly Required" stickers.