[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak digital.linux.org.au version=3.0.3-la1

Andrew Cowie andrew at operationaldynamics.com
Sun Sep 17 11:49:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 12:49 +0930, Glen Turner wrote:
> I'd also ask that LA be somewhat strategic in its funding.
> For example, in this case we're paying to keep the activity
> running for this year with an expectation that it will make
> its own way next year.  I don't think it would leverage our
> funds the best to do this every year.

I would echo Glen's  sentiment on the matter.

A year's funding for an ongoing activity only makes sense if that
funding is to help the organization leverage itself to being sustainable
on its own.

(or, acknowledging the sensitive nature of this discussion, at least
helping the FOSS relevant part to be self-sustaining)

So the suggestion of making the funding explicitly for the development
of a manual or guide on how to run this sort of activity makes sense.
Even in that I have a concern - just cranking out a document is only
mildly interesting; seeding a non-sectarian community that becomes a
meeting point for organizations trying to do activities with a software
libré aspect is more appealing...

But even that is of questionable merit: how many "lets seed this
community" efforts have we seen go by that don't ever turn into anything
viable?

AfC
Sydney

--
Andrew Frederick Cowie
Managing Director

Australia: Office 02 9977 6866, Mobile 04 1079 6725

Management Consultants specializing in strategy,
organizational architecture, procedures to survive
change, and performance hardening for the people
and systems behind the mission critical enterprise.

http://www.operationaldynamics.com/

Sydney   New York   Toronto   London