[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Morgan Tocker tocker at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 00:18:04 UTC 2006

It seems off topic, but was in need of correction (thanks James).

> > I think that MySQL might not be Open Source, and, its licensing, is
> > different to some other equivalent software (like PostgreSQL, I think).
>
> Just a quick point, MySQL releases everything under a dual licensing
> system, GPL and a proprietry license for those who produce proprietry
> software and wish to include MySQL code.

MySQL releases the MySQL server and the MySQL connectors under both a
GPL license, and commercial license (!= everything; since things like
the KB for example are a customer-only service).

Some critics point out that the GPL is like cancer (or insert favorite
viral word) since everything that is a derivative of a GPL product,
must be released under the same license terms.  This then causes
incompatibilities when just mixing and matching open source licenses.

MySQL Addresses this problem with the FOSS Exception to the GPL (which
extends additional terms to the GPL; you can see it here -
http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/foss-exception.html ).

Disclaimer: I work for MySQL :-)