[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Fri Sep 15 13:06:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 15:33 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> And, from what I understand, the different "flavours" of UNIX still
> exist, and are used, and, are used by large or substantial, commercial
> (and other) organisations, whether or not, Linux people like it.

I'm increasingly getting the view that if these people need a community
org, they should be the ones helping organise it. I certainly don't
think I'm a qualified person to organise a AIX community group (AIX
Australia if you will) as my exposure has been minimal.

> Perhaps, a UNIX organisation should exist, to which an Australian Linux
> organisation should be affiliated. Similarly, with an Open Source
> organisation. Linux is an operating system; some of the software that
> runs on Linux, is open source, and, some of that also runs on other,
> propreitary operating systems, such as MS Windows. And, some software
> that runs on Linux, is proprietary, but perhaps should not be excluded
> from discussion in Linux organisatons, due to it not being open source.

it's an interesting idea - but would it mean anything? Would it just be
a UNIX organisation run by Linux people - so really be a Linux org in
everything but name (hence confusing and no doubt annoying people)?

> I think that MySQL might not be Open Source, and, its licensing, is
> different to some other equivalent software (like PostgreSQL, I think).

MySQL is licensed under the GPL.

It just so happens that MySQL AB can also sell commercial licenses if
(for example) you want to link a proprietary product with the client
libraries (which are licensed under GPL).

PostgreSQL is BSD licensed so you can link pretty much anything with the
client libraries - or modify the source and distribute it as a
proprietary application (as several vendors do).

> Apart from the "Linux Australia Conferences", Open Source Developers
> Conferences have also occurred, so Linux Australia does not own the Open
> Source movement in Australia.

and never has claimed to do so... we just happen to have a very large
chunk of those people agreeing with the goals and involved in the
community. It's quite probable that if we say "LA represents the .au
FOSS community" we will be more right in saying that than any other
body. Please correct me if i'm wrong here :)

> So, perhaps, Linux Australia neeeds to be reviewed, to determine
> excatly, its purpose and objectives, and, how they relate to the other
> issues and entities.

Welcome to this email thread :)

> And, if AUUG has problems, as mentioned on the cited web page, and,
> appears to be falling in a heap, then, perhaps, a new version of AUUG,
> could be formed, to support UNIX in Australia, as had previously
> happened (back when AUUG(WA) used to have meetings in West Perth), so
> that people who use/administer the different "flavours" of UNIX, can
> still meet and support each other.

But who would run it? Surely if there was great interest in such a org,
wouldn't AUUG be incredibly healthy and we wouldn't be having this
discussion?

--
Stewart Smith (stewart at linux.org.au)
Committee Member, Linux Australia