[Linux-aus] Goodbye AUUG, hello phoenix

Aguido Horatio Davis horatio at computer.org
Thu Sep 14 20:10:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 08:27:11PM +1000, James Purser wrote:

> AUUG's issues are their own, and I think separate to our considerations.
> AUUG fulfills a role for those who may not agree with our way of doing
> things, and for those who work extensively with the proprietary *nixes.

To be honest, this is my gut reaction to AUUG's difficulties. I have
used and enjoyed Solaris and AIX and Irix and OS X, and so I can see
where a users' group for them would have a niche in the Unix ecosystem.

But the Unix community _is_ an ecosystem. It's not particularly
necessary for LA to expand until it occupies all niches in that
ecosystem, and as an ordinary member I'd really rather it didn't try.

Perhaps just refounding AUUG as something a little less fragile, that
incorporates some of the excellent suggestions that have featured on
this thread? Surely such a reborn organisation would be welcome amongst
us; they might even replace the conference that's giving them such
heartburn with their own miniconf at LCA, and that would be a hoot.

unix.conf.au does have such a nice ring to it...

Cheers,

Horatio