[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Wed Sep 13 11:38:11 UTC 2006

Elspeth Thorne wrote:

> Request: Any sponsorship material is welcome, however, we would
> appreciate assistance with transport costs. We need to transport
> approximately 50 people to the camp site (in Toogoolawah, Queensland)
> from Brisbane. The service we have used in previous years is
> unavailable, so we are using an alternative bus service, which is
> costing us approximately $400 above the budgeted figure. A grant to make
> up this shortfall would be greatly appreciated.

Folks,

Despite my reservations about people of my religion not being
permitted in a supervisory role, I think this an activity LA
can support. Although I'd feel much better paying for something
more directly FOSS-related than the transport.

Because of my reservations, I'd feel more comfortable if
this was a one-off because of the budget shortfall.

In terms of more general policy, I suppose that's what I'd
prefer -- LA support the FOSS-related aspects of a group's
activities where the group has difficulty doing so from its
own resources and as long as the group's aims are not counter
to those of FOSS or generally abhorrent.

I'd also ask that LA be somewhat strategic in its funding.
For example, in this case we're paying to keep the activity
running for this year with an expectation that it will make
its own way next year.  I don't think it would leverage our
funds the best to do this every year.

Cheers, Glen