[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Terry Dawson terry at linux.org.au
Wed Sep 13 07:09:02 UTC 2006

Elspeth Thorne wrote:

> Request: Any sponsorship material is welcome, however, we would
> appreciate assistance with transport costs. We need to transport
> approximately 50 people to the camp site (in Toogoolawah, Queensland)
> from Brisbane. The service we have used in previous years is
> unavailable, so we are using an alternative bus service, which is
> costing us approximately $400 above the budgeted figure. A grant to make
> up this shortfall would be greatly appreciated.

I don't normally participate in these discussions, as a committee member I
feel it's proper to have our decision to invest in events guided by our
membership.

This request interests me though. I believe there is a role Linux Australia
could play in supporting this event. Linux Australia should support
activities that are aligned with its objectives of promoting and advocating
Linux and Free/Open Source Software in Australia.

What makes me uncomfortable about your request is that what you're asking
for isn't squarely within our charter. If the event were purely a Linux/FOSS
camp then it might be, but the fact that the scope of the event is broader
than Linux/FOSS leaves us in a position where we need to be careful in what
support we provide.

For the issue is not about whether UberTweak is a christian event, but about
whether it is a Linux/FOSS event. There are clearly sections of the event
that are Linux/FOSS, I'd like to see Linux Australia specifically supporting
those.

Is there some way that you could restructure your request to ensure that any
support we may provide is unambiguously along those lines?

For example, if you were to set aside a section of the event as an
identifiable FOSS partition (whether physically or temporally) perhaps it'd
be relevant for Linux Australia to assist with a proportion of
accomodation/equipment/consumable costs. Of if you were looking for a
Linux/FOSS speaker to address your audience we might be able to assist with
finding and sending someone there?

regards
Terry

--