[Linux-aus] Request for Grant from Linux Australia for Ubertweak

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed Sep 13 12:24:04 UTC 2006

Hi Glen,

<quote who="Glen Turner">

> Despite my reservations about people of my religion not being
> permitted in a supervisory role, I think this an activity LA
> can support. Although I'd feel much better paying for something
> more directly FOSS-related than the transport.

I agree with that.

> Because of my reservations, I'd feel more comfortable if
> this was a one-off because of the budget shortfall.

I also agree.

> In terms of more general policy, I suppose that's what I'd
> prefer -- LA support the FOSS-related aspects of a group's
> activities where the group has difficulty doing so from its
> own resources and as long as the group's aims are not counter
> to those of FOSS or generally abhorrent.
>
> I'd also ask that LA be somewhat strategic in its funding.
> For example, in this case we're paying to keep the activity
> running for this year with an expectation that it will make
> its own way next year.  I don't think it would leverage our
> funds the best to do this every year.

I think there is some really sensible policy decisions there Glen. What does
everyone else thing? As the grants are only a couple of years old it was
inevitable policies would need to be tweaked with time. This is a good
chance to set some sensible policies and codify them on the grants website.

So a policy proposal might be:

* Linux Australia supports FOSS-related activities only (or a FOSS part of a
  larger activity)
* Linux Australia only supports events that align with its aims
* Grants are given primarily to bootstrap or temporarily assist great FOSS
  projects, and is not a long term assistance scheme

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it
               would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien