[Linux-aus] LCA Proposal Suggestions?

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at samba.org
Thu Oct 19 08:48:02 UTC 2006

At 2006/10/18 21:09+1000  Pia Waugh writes:

> It would also lead to numerous issues. The current system works really well.
> There is some discussion about whether that would work. I personally don't
> think it adds any real value.

I think that potentially the main benefit would be in feedback back to
the submitters who are currently rejected. Paper selection committee
members blogging about the process certainly is very useful, but hey
no one thinks that it applies to them do they? :-) However, having
proposals rejected year after year, and simply getting a message
saying "sorry" would be rather disheartening and is not particularly
useful feedback. Its like trying to compile a program and the compiler
saying "Sorry, try again, but have a look at this book on C - it will
tell you what you can and can't do".

That being said, I do think a completely open process has more
downsides than upsides.

Instead, what may be useful in the future is for submitters to be able
to tick a box during abstract submission saying "Please give me raw
feedback - I realise my feelings may be hurt by this, but I want to
know the truth!". And for these people actually sending the feedback
accumulated during the selection process back to them.

> > On another feedback note, during the conference it would be nice if
> > there was a way to provide feedback on the talks you attend. I seem to
> > remember there being something similar to this in the past but my memory
> > is failing me.
>
> There has been feedback forms for speakers in the past. We'll see if we can
> do it for lca2007 :)

I think LCA have been quite good about collecting feedback information
about speakers in the past. As far as I know (and I'm sure someone
will correct me if I'm wrong) we haven't been so good about actually
getting the feedback to the speakers afterwards.

Chris
cyeoh at au.ibm.com
IBM OzLabs Linux Development Group, ADL
Canberra, Australia