[Linux-aus] knoppix + redwall = ???

Max Kovgan kovganm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 3 01:01:04 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Novensiles divi Flamen <noven at sincorp.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 November 2006 19:48, Michael Eilon wrote:
> >
> > Such "diskless" Linux workstations would be ideal: I can keep PC numbers
> > up, but with minimal maintenance (any problems -> hit reset and walk away).
> >
> Another idea could be to set up a central server, run terminal services on it
> and then PXE boot the clients. This would give you more functionality and a
> more responsive system, at the cost of needing a very decent (read new)
> server to run it off. Edubuntu is set up to do this very easily, could be
> worth a look.

The most interesting advantage of this is that if it works, the only
machine you're actually messing with is the server.
The worker-nodes are simply "plug-in-and-forget"
You will have better results indeed with a high-end server, specially
the storage is crucial, because the more NFS clients you server needs
to feed, the faster I/O it needs.
I think any hardware SCSI RAID card would bear the pain. and 1G NIC
with 1G uplink to the server's NFS interface is also a good thing.
I am feeding with 1 such beast about 50 nodes. on 1Gb link. and about
the 1/2 of it on 100M link.
But, it all depends on the applications you will use.

Regards again,
Max.