[Linux-aus] knoppix + redwall = ???

Andrew Swinn andrew at swinndesign.com
Fri Nov 3 08:32:02 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-02 at 20:48 +0800, Michael Eilon wrote:
> HI all,
>
> my first post to this list!  I've been a lurker all this time :-)
>
> --
>
> I'm looking for advice regarding a suitable Linux distro:
>
> it needs to be one of the Linux "live" distros (Knoppix, etc) which run off
> a CD and don't need a HD.
>
> But I need a variant in which I can customise the user interface... I don't
> want to have to set the web browser proxies and the default printer every
> time I boot into it.

May I suggest a Ubuntu Live CD. The Ubuntu Live CD as of 6.06 had the
option for persistance by use of a usb flash drive, and possibly a
floppy drive.

Might be worth a look into. Off hand I also know there are a number of
other Live CDs now featuring a similar function. I think even distros
like Damn Small Linux and Puppy Linux which are great for older PCs can
also have the settings saved.

Else I would go the LTSP type setup.

Regards,

Andrew Swinn