[Linux-aus] Grant application

flame flame at fraq.net
Wed May 31 11:18:01 UTC 2006

On Wed, 31 May 2006 09:49:39 +1000
James Purser <purserj at k-sit.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming you are requesting the Mac Mini to test Safari
> compatibility. Would it not be easier to get hold of an older PPC
> machine, which I understand are dropping rapidly in price as everyone
> moves across to the new Intel based Macs.

Cheaper yes, easier no.

As you have pointed out, everyone is moving across to the new Intel based Macs, this includes the intended users of our software, and it only makes sense to test our software on the same platform. APhPLIX makes use of cutting edge technology from the latest browsers and as such effective testing will require the latest hardware/software platforms. Although testing on older second hand hardware comes with a lower initial price, it has been my experience that the extra time required to setup, maintain & operate this obsolescent equipment far outweighs the initial cost saving. Taking these factors into consideration we have selected one of the cheapest new Macs currently available.

--
flame