[Linux-aus] Grant application

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Wed May 31 11:28:02 UTC 2006

Hi Flame,

<quote who="flame">

> Please comment on the following grant application.

OK :)

> $377	Web hosting (2 years) Web hosting for the project requires a large
> data transfer allowance, PHP 5, SVN support, shell access & Anonymous FTP.
> DreamHost (www.dreamhost.com) offers a plan that fulfills all of these
> requirements for US$11.90/mth pre-payed for 2 years. Other options for
> hosting would be acceptable so long as they meet the listed requirements.

Have you considered hosting it on the Linux Australia mirror or main server?
The mirror in particular has excellent bandwidth and it would obviously save
paying for hosting.

> $1300	Mac mini	To test cross-browser compatibility.  As this project
> relies heavily on the functionality of the host web browser it is
> important to run full testing on a wide range of web browser platforms. We
> currently have both Linux and Windows machines for inhouse testing. In the
> past we have been offered external testing on Mac platform browsers,
> however this has proven to be ineffectual and we require a Mac for proper
> inhouse testing and debugging. With this hardware we will be able to
> perform continued testing on all available Mac platform web browsers and
> where possible ensure that APhPLIX Development Studio will operate
> correctly under them.

I can understand wanting to test on a Mac. Have you considered a second hand
Mac for this purpose? Is there any reasons why you need a Mac mini
specifically? I'm sure someone on the list would know some places to find
well priced Mac hardware :)

Cheers,
Pia

--
Linux Australia                                         http://linux.org.au/

                 "I dig your vibe." - Rove McManus to Ice T