Re: [Linux-aus] Australian Ubuntu Local Community Team

Thanks Luke.

The thing that has really hit home for me is the level of re-learning required to move from one to another.
Bearing in mind that the users I speak of are not techs. The PC is their enabler for their job as Sales Managers.

Any change, even if GNOME was "there" strikes me as being the equivalent of learning a different language, not something that is easy
and it would have a major affect on performance , which directly relates to their income, which I would not want to see happen.

Think I need to educate myself....some Googling is in order.

Rgds
BW

On 3/23/06, Luke Yelavich < themuso@themuso.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 08:51:32AM EST, Brent Wallis wrote:
> Blah...well it's out now!
>
> But from mistakes come opportunity... :)
>
> The points here on Visually impared users may be of interest to some and are
> a sticking point from me.....

As they are for me, as a vision impaired Linux user.

> Does anyone have some comments to make on Linux Desktops functionality for
> the disabled?

In short, there is still a long way to go. GNOME itself with the various
packages available for vision impaired users is usable, but such common
tasks as web browsing need a lot of work before they are usable by the
disabled masses. Things are constantly being worked on however, and
there is sometimes a way round things if a user's need is well
understood and requirements are clearly stated.
--
Luke Yelavich
GPG key: 0xD06320CE