[Linux-aus] An abridged history of #linuxaus and Linux Australia IRC

Gary Allpike spice at spice.net.au
Thu Jun 29 20:57:02 UTC 2006

Hi All,

Just so my position on this is clear, as I may have been a bit unclear
in my previous post.

Pia Waugh wrote:
> So there are two questions here:
>
> 1) Shall we merge with the linuxaus channel on oftc?

Absolutely not, if the channel remains in its current form.  This
channel is no longer suitable to be the official channel of Linux
Australia.  However, I do think the channel has the right to be
preserved in its current form as it has (dis)functioned in that way for
over 10 years, and I really think it unfair to curtail or disperse the
regulars.  Start a #linux-aus channel, mark it official, and the people
on #linuxaus can mark theirs as very unofficial and not representative
of Linux Australia in any way.

> 2) Is there any compelling reason people can think of to move to OFTC at
>    all?

I believe so.  Robert may not remember from over 4 years ago, but lilo
caused a lot of grief and anger with his money raising tactics.  I am
fundamentally opposed to his way of raising funds and then using them to
pay himself. I am not suggesting he is doing anything illegal in any
way, and mailing list tripe and vitriol really has no meaning to me -
but I just dont like the idea of being associated with the Freenode IRC
network.
> Cheers,
> Pia

These of course are just my own opinions, and whatever Linux Australia
chooses to do, I'm sure there will be no long term dramas and life will
go on as before.

regards

Gary Allpike