[Linux-aus] An abridged history of #linuxaus and Linux Australia IRC

Robert Stoffers rstoffers at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 15:40:04 UTC 2006

On Thursday 29 June 2006 12:59, Craige McWhirter wrote:

> > 2) Is there any compelling reason people can think of to move to OFTC at
> >    all?
>
> I'm not going to repeat all the arguments already put so eloquently but
> I will add this anonymous post to a UK list recently that I think,
> questions of accuracy aside (I have not verified any of the "facts"),
> goes a long way towards expressing the way a lot of people feel about
> the manner with which Freenode is operated:
>
> http://lists.grok.org.uk/pipermail/full-disclosure/2006-June/047380.html

It's intresting that you provide a link to the archive of the Full Disclosure
mailing list, a list that is renown for script kiddies, trolling and being of
dubious accuracy. Clicking the "Messages sorted by: [ thread ]" link will
show exactly what I mean by this, 80% of the messages on this list are spam
from various "hacking groups" with a vendetta against other users of the
list.

The message itself spend its first half making unsubstantiated claims about
Rob and his wife falsely claiming disability pensions without any real proof.
It then attempts to gain sympathy for the author by claiming he is the best
thing since sliced bread to the open source community. I fail to see how some
unconfirmed information about Robs personal affairs and some Google Maps
images prove anything either.

There are many people that have a personal dislike of Rob Levin for whatever
reason, he puts up with constant trolling, prank calls, people slandering his
name and poking into his personal affairs on an almost daily basis. Yet
despite all of this he continues to run the Freenode IRC network and lives on
a pittance with his family. Most arguments against using Freenode tend to
boil down to personal dislike of Rob and not the Freenode IRC network itself,
the simple solution to this is:

/ignore lilo!*@* ALL

Cheers,

Robert Stoffers